Interesting new experience…

So, this is kind of a random post, but I had my first experience of passing out yesterday. At least that I know of. I had to do one of those glucose blood test things I’ve heard of so many pregnant women having to do, but somehow I got lucky and didn’t have to take one when I was pregnant with Liam.

Anyway, Richie took the morning off work yesterday so I could go to the lab to have the test done. Little did I realize that it would take more than THREE HOURS! As a result, Richie’s morning off morphed into Richie’s entire day off, and he’s just going to make up an extra day of work in a week or so.

I think the fact that I walked to the clinic, up a giant steep hill, on an empty stomach of course, was probably a contributing factor. I felt fine when I got their and surprisingly not really that hungry (pregnant or no, I’m always starving in the morning!). I don’t really have any problem with getting blood taken generally, and at first things were fine. Then after the initial blood sample was taken and I was sitting in the chair for a minute, I started feeling funny and woozy and like I just wanted to curl up and lay on my side. I remember the nurses there bringing me a drink of water and turning on the air conditioner for me and then…

I was in a happy place! Haha, it’s so weird, the experience right before passing out feels miserable, but being passed out feels kind of nice! It was like dreaming a bit, that’s all. I have no idea how long I was out, but I opened my eyes with one nurse holding my feet up and another one rubbing lemon-scented Turkish cologne on my arm and holding it under my nose and rubbing it on my forehead. Funky. I think the lemon cologne was particularly magical.

Then after I recovered a bit, it was back to the waiting room to drink the most sugary lemonade ever, which made me feel a bit ill for a while. During that first hour of waiting I just had the strongest urge to lay down and fall asleep, and I must have dozed off because the nurse came to tell me not to sleep. Luckily I had my kindle with so I just read loads, and it got easier as the time passed. I didn’t faint again anyway!

So, I get my results in another day or two and fingers crossed I don’t have a big blood sugar problem. I’ve been really behaving myself for the last week or so, cutting down the carbs and sticking with the protein and stuff, so I really, really hope that’s all I have to do. I guess I’ll find out.

All I know is that, either way, when this baby arrives, I’m treating myself to a great big giant cake and I’m going to enjoy every single bite of it! Can’t wait!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s